Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Transitioning back to Pole and to work.



Salutations,

I arrived at South Pole to take on my added role a couple of days ago. I stayed in McMurdo a little longer than I would have liked, but I'm glad to get going to Pole and get down to business. Right now, I'm in the process of turnover with the winter overs so that I can remember how to do my job and transition smoothly.

While I was staying in McMurdo, I decided to take on Ob Hill again just so that I could get my head clear that day and get some exercise. I hiked the hill two years ago, but they didn't have wind turbines on one of the neighboring hills. After thinking about it, seeing those turbines on the seventh continent reminds me of my job position. The transition from fossil fuels to greener forms of energy and me going from Met to Senior Met has some parallels to it.

If they take care of the energy transition here, they could do it anywhere. Also I feel that I would do a good enough job with the added responsibilities if the transition goes well. So far it has been, but other things on station are making things a little more difficult. On that note, things should be more exciting when I get my two new workers down here sometime next week. Expect an update then.

Until then, toodles.

1 comment:

jeanette said...

I know I'm late reading this but i think it is great that you are taking time to be reflective. I love hiking too it is such a great way to clear your mind. With the jeep maybe we can do some hiking when you get back?