Monday, January 12, 2009

A January update and....who...me?


Greetings once again.

Things are beginning to change around here once again, for me personally now I'm on the day shift, which means that it may be more difficult to get a hold of you to tell you of my tales. Also on the winds of change front, I received word on my tentative departure date, so the end is closer than I think.

Another note, since our supervisor was going to be at McMurdo station for a week for R&R before he begins his winter shift, he dubbed me to be in charge of the meteorology office while he was away. Personally, I don't think much will change with my job. I might be the focus of attention more, but that always seems to happen with no matter which job I work. I'm certain that things will go smooth for the next six days and I won't crash the Met department into a C-130.

That's the major updates that I have for now. The picture is of a Kelvin-Helmholtz wave cloud, or at least before it began to dissapate. These clouds are somewhat rare to capture, but it's a little more special to see them in this part of the world.

Take care until next time.

3 comments:

jeanette said...

What makes these clouds so special?

Blur said...

So you are well over half way. What are your plans? Hopefully you will spend a couple of weeks on the South Island. Sydney is great if you can fit it in.

pjmarz said...

Well Jeanette,
These clouds are kind of rare to see because we have an unstable layer in that cloud deck, which is very rare in a cold place like Antarctica. The cooler air which is up top moves a little faster than the warmer air below it which makes the wave-like formation. I hope this helps out some.